Sunday 25 April 2010

Sunday 25th April 2010

Dear Written World

This is the first entry of my blog! It's rather exciting as I feel I have much to say and I hope that readers can really connect with the themes. I assume my writings will mostly be of a philosophical nature related to purpose, direction and will but who knows... we'll see where my mind wanders! I hope by writing that I'll have more clarity and also simply enjoy the process. On y va!

I've recently discovered a programme called The Light At The Edge of The World, the title of which fascinated me as it is very similar to a painting (The Light of The World) which has always haunted me, which I originally saw it at a friend's house. On listening to Wade David's presentation, I'm simply bedazzled by his delivery - an incredibly articulate and engaging guy who tells of the tension between the fragility of indigenous cultures (including rituals, language...) vs. the modern world, its ruthless ploughing toward homogenity.

Whilst I agree that there's much wisdom to be gained by looking to these tribal peoples, I wonder what's possible here. I've spent time amongst alternative thinkers and stayed within alternative communities but the feeling I've always left with is misty-eyed nostalgia for a passed age. I've realised recently that there is no perfect way - the world changes, weather changes, people change, moods change, opinions change... so truly to be present, we must ride the current tide and enjoy it. What, then, guides us? How do I arrive at a sense of purpose?

I ask these questions because, at 29 years old, I still wonder about my calling. (I also wonder if the notion of a calling is a limited and dated one, too.) The type of wisdom that Wade Davis (presenter of said programme) explores is something I yearn for but in a modern context. For me, knowledge and ritual brings meaning and purpose to my day and the tasks I undertake. Without it, I'm full of apathy and the world I'm surrounded by has an emptiness. For example, when I go to prepare something to eat, I think about the growers, I think about the process; that connection brings me joy and also meaning. Otherwise, the food'd be nothing more than an object or ornament, or fuel (as a friend at dinner said the other night).

Speaking of which, it's lunch time and I'm peckish - I'm making a chapati wrap which I'll fill with dhal, bhuna gosht, steamed nettles and yoghurt! Yum yum.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment